Replacing outdoor faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNPAGirl

Reaction score
I have an outdoor faucet that needs to be replaced. It is in a wall with siding and is solid on the inside so you can't see the plumbing lines. I unscrewed the outer part and can pull it out of the wal some, just enough to see a crack in the copper pipe portion but not far enough to get to the end of the pipe to unscrew it and replace it. Any suggestions? Is this a job for a pro?

Thanks!

20171222_175802.jpg

Could be a job for a professional. some things that look simple can become night mares if you're not sure about what you're dealing with.
Are you in a freeze zone? Was the split caused by freezing water?

I can't help you with that. Nothing freezes here. Well at least not very often.
I remember about maybe15 yrs ago we had a cold spell and some water lines on a flat commercial roof froze up.

Thanks! I'm in TN but it does freeze here. Got down to 15 overnight a week or so ago. Looks like it was caused by freezing water. I even made sure to disconnect the hose before the freeze.

You need to expose th pipe on the inside to replace. I always reccomend having an access panel for a shut off valve for these "frost free" faucets. They're not supposed to freeze but if installed incorrectly they will. One day they all need replacing and people get awful sour when I tell them I need to cut drywall to replace it. If there was an access panel, it wouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts

Back