Replacement Price Pfister Valve Stem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnoopKatt

Reaction score
Hello,

The shower head was leaking when the valve was closed, so we opened it up and took a look at the valve stem (please correct me if I'm using the wrong terminology), which is pictured, and the cartridge. The seals around the cartridge were all ripped up, so we went to the local hardware store and picked up a new cartridge.

However, looking at the other side of the valve stem that presses against the cartridge, it is pretty bumpy, and probably the reason why the cartridge seals got ripped up. We sanded that piece of the valve stem down lightly to get it pretty flat, but I'd still like to replace it because it's probably going to wear out this cartridge faster than we'd like.

The store didn't have any replacement valve stems for us, and they told us it's pretty tough to find them anymore. Looking around online doesn't seem to take me anywhere either - I can't seem to find anything that looks remotely close. I wanted to ask before giving up because I'm not too familiar with this stuff, but is there anywhere I could find a replacement of the pictured part? It's a Price Pfister shower valve - single handle for both hot and cold.

Thanks!

IMG_20180120_181201-768x1024.jpg

look for a

Price-Pfister 971-150 stem assembly
Price Pfister pressure balance Cartridge 974-491

Just looks a little different.
The body looks like it has a square 4 hole pattern as well.
The stem is the same configuration.

PricePfister.jpg

Last edited:
look for a

Price-Pfister 971-150 stem assembly
Price Pfister pressure balance Cartridge 974-491

Just looks a little different.
The body looks like it has a square 4 hole pattern as well.
The stem is the same configuration.

Good eye, I missed the 4 hole pattern. Thank you for your help!

Latest posts

Back