Replaced Garbage Disposer Drain Doesn't match

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmyth

Reaction score
I just replaced my garbage disposer in my kitchen sink. It looked like the drain pipe was going to line up properly, but when I went to finally put the disposer in, it doesn't quite line up.

I am inserting a picture. The white pipe isn't long enough but it shows how it's not lining up. I need to get something to make the two meet. What should I get? We are having a holiday party tomorrow night so I have to get it fixed in the morning.

What is the best way to fix this?

sink.jpg

You have the height to raise the tee to line up with the disposal. Just replace the tee and piping the trap is fine. It's all done with slip nuts and washers which you can get at any big box store or plumbing supply.

John

Thanks John. Let me make sure I understand. Are you saying that I get another T for the pipe on the right. It will be able to adjust to the right height?

I'm concerned that if I take that T out I'll get myself in a mess I can't fix. Isn't there some kind of pipe that would go from the disposer to the T at a downward angle so that they could meet?

You will be far better of to replace all the metal pipe above the trap and replace it with tubular PVC with slip nuts. It's not that hard to do. Take your picture to a plumbing supply and they will supply you with what you need to do the job. But if you feel uncomfortable with this then you should call a plumber.

John

John is 100% correct and it should be an easy fix. Good luck and have a great party tomorrow night!

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

I was not confident enough of my skills yet, as I am a plumbing newbie, so I called my cousin who went to the hardware store with me. We found tube that they make for garbage disposer drains that is a plastic flexible tube. It goes from 6 inches to 10 and that worked great.

Party is on!

As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I'm glad you got it fixed and thanks for letting us know the outcome!

Latest posts

Back