Air Admittance Valve or run back to roof stack?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sksc86

Reaction score
Hey all! I need to replace all the supply and DWV lines (currently cast iron and galvanized) in the house. We just recently had an issue with out kitchen sink drain line clogging up, and the plumber could not get his snake down the drain line due to a suspected collapsed pipe between the drain line and the vent. They ended up capping off the existing one and ran new DWV pipe to the sink, installing an air admittance value instead of tying it into my existing vent roof stack (I suspect the later option would be a lot more work). So now, I basically have a galvanized vent stack coming out the roof for no reason. The plan is that this house will eventually be a rental when were ready to move on and so I am thinking lowest maintenance/most reliable long term here. I was wondering if it would make sense to go ahead and reroute the kitchen sink drain line to the original, replacing the galvanized drain pipe with PVC and possibly even doing so up to the roof stack. It is my understanding that the galvanized vent pipe generally does not have a problem with rusting, so thinking even just replacing up just past where the drain line and vent meet should work, right? I imagine it would be a much bigger job to replace the galvanized roof stack with a PVC roof stack?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back