Removing threaded pipe part from bathroom sink?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesun

Reaction score
I have an old style bathroom sink with a drain that accepts a threaded pipe. The pipe corroded and broke, leaving the threaded part still up inside the drain. I have ZERO idea how to go about removing it...will it loosen with a torch flame? Is there a tool I need? Since it's inside the pipe and there's no purchase it's very hard to figure out. Yet apparently this is a common problem and I suspect plumbers must deal with this all the time.

Thank you so much for any help!

I really appreciate the two replies here. Can an "Easy Out" set work for something as big as an inch and a quarter? I've looked online and most sets stop at 1 inch.

Unfortunately I can't take pics now because I've temporarily fixed it by fitting the broken pipe back in and taping it with duct tape. Will last for a week, I know, but hoping to get to the weekend.

Someone else online suggested cutting out the threads with a hacksaw...but the problem there is that there's only a tiny bit of travel for the blade.

What about using a Dremel tool or something to grind away the threads? Would that work?

Another thing I thought was if maybe I got a dowel, shaved enough that I could wedge it in and then turned it?

Anyway...thank you very much for the help and suggestions. If anyone else out there has additional ideas it would be great.

Get a hack saw blade and wrap half in duct tape, so you don't cut your hand. Then use it with short push/pull actions on the inside of the pipe on a few sides, then use a small screwdriver to pry the old pipe from the threads. You can do it as well with a dremel, but use caution, because you can easily go thru the pipe into the existing threads, and your repair will be much bigger.

I think that is what I will try -- the hack saw blade wrapped in duct tape! Fingers crossed!!

:)

that should work also. but you can buy easy-out's in all the sizes you may need. the biggest i have on hand or ever used was a 2 inch but i have seen biggger. very handy tool set. even if you get it out i'd really think about grabbing a set just to have around. seems i use mine at least 2-3 time a month. oh and most of the time you'll have to buy anything over a inch separate. aka one at a time. NAPP or other tool shops should have them not to sure about lowes or home depot though never looked lol. but best of luck!

Last edited:
Back