Rejuvenated fields and soap suds

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatguycraig

Reaction score
I have an older system (1000 gallon tank and god knows what exactly for fields). Recently rain in the basement turned out to be a system failure and my water softener backing up in to the basement. We did all the checks, had the system pumped etc. we determined my system was fine except for the fields which were not taking water at all. The pump gave them a good 8-10 day rest and I added an aerator to convert to an aerobic system. They are now slowly taking water and things are getting better.

1) has anyone used one of these before? Any tips?

2) when I open my lid I get soap suds obscuring my view. Any thoughts?

we determined my system was fine except for the fields

Don't know that I would call the system fine if half the system doesn't work :rolleyes:

Were the lines checked while the soil was still wet? Saturated soil will cause the system to drain slowly or not at all, and clay soil drains slowly in the first place, if that's what you have around.

I've heard of the aerator inserts but never seen one in action or talked to anyone who has used one, but I'm not sure how it would help the lateral lines? It's still going to be water draining out of the tank whether it's aerobic or anaerobic treatment. Maybe less organic matter in the effluent so the biomat in the lines starves and shrinks?

Does your tank have multiple chambers or is it single chamber? Does the outlet of the tank have a baffle? The aerator will churn and kick up the solids and you don't want those particles floating around right before the outlet because they'll float out into the lines and help clog them up.

I assume the suds are now present after installing the aerator? Soft water suds easier than hard water, so probably that with the soaps/detergents that go down the drain from dishes, showers, laundry, etc.

Also, how many people are or have been living in the house?

Back