Refill Tube Will Not Stop Running

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikamika

Reaction score
We've recently been hit with a cold spell, and for a few days our trailer park has been without water. Something about the main line... So, our water came back on earlier today, and I went to turn the sink off(I had it on just in case our pipes were frozen), but noticed my toilet was leaking from the handle.

I lifted up the top and the tank was overflowing, so I flushed it... waited... and it did it again. The refill tube won't stop flowing, even if the overflow tube is full and I pull up on the valve. The flapper is fine, too....

Does it sound like I need a new valve?

Last edited:
Sooooo many different types of flush mechanisms these days .

take a picture and show us what you have.

I'm at work at the moment, I'll try to see if my fiance can send me a pic. :( You'll have to forgive him, he stuck the refill tube under the flapper to keep it from overflowing until we could figure it out, rather than flushing it every ten seconds.

Without a pic, all I can tell ya is it's pretty much all plastic, which irks me... but I'm finding that to be a norm with my trailer... Has a fill valve, the handle with the arm and chain down to the flapper, overflow tube with the refill tube clipped to the side, the tube is facing down into the tank... and as far as memory serves, that's it. Kinda like this set up here:

fluidmaster-400a-whole-tank-fill-valve-how-to.png

Last edited:
You added that picture just after I went to go find this one.

The float is on the shaft. If it's black like the one in my picture it\s probably a fluidmaster . very common. There should be a turn off stop valve under the toilet. You'll have to turn that off to fix it. The fill valves are easy to change out lots of videos on youtube. The stop valve under the toilet to shut off water can be a little more complicated

imagesK2QV2M4F.jpg

Yeah, sorry about that. Fiance said he didn't have good enough light but said it's a Fluidmaster 400A. We actually have two toilets. One does not work(pipe has yet to be fixed). My mother was under the impression we did have stop valve like the one you describe, but when I went to turn it off so it'd stop flooding the bathroom, I found there wasn't one. When our not so reliable family friend/repairman came over, he informed me that trailers don't have that feature. :( This is my first trailer so I don't really know these things.

We were just going to turn the valve off out back, that sends water up to the whole trailer from the main line for the park.

Will the water shut off when you gently lift the black ballast on the fluidmaster 4oo?

Nope, it'll maybe slow the flow... just a smidge... but not enough to really help anything. It's still a strong enough of a flow to fill it in under a minute.

Sounds like you got some crud that is blocking the valve from stopping. For $9.00, you can pick up a replacement, but also pick up a shut off valve so you can shut the water to the toilet.

next time the city turns off the water for a line break. IF, you install valves behind your toilet

turn off the valve, take the aeriater off the sink faucet, open the cold handle on the sink.

hopefully, the crud will follow that route when water comes back on

fluidmaster-400a-whole-tank-fill-valve-how-to.jpg

Last edited:
Back