Rattlling Waterpipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommytx

Reaction score
Looking for more ideas to solve the very common rattling water pipe when water is rapidly shutdown. A well digger installed a new pump with 1 gallon bladder on my water cooled HVAC.
Did not notice till he was gone that the pipes rattled Well man gave me some ideas but none worked.. Each time the unit shuts down suddenly makes a loud noise which is so common in lines that water is shut down quickly. I have tried every thing under the sun with negative results and hope somone my have an idea i have not tried. Here is my list of what i tried to no avail. This is an open loop water cooler HVAC.
1. Added a 5 gallon bladder accumulator in parallel with the one gallon at the pump end...
2. Tried the same 5 gallon on the other end near the Shut off valve.
3. Reduce the air press in the 1 gallon bladder.
4. Used a throttling valve in the line near the pump
5. Used a throttling valve in the return line back to the well.
6. Used newspaper to jam around the pipe that seem to be making the vibrating noise.

Please tell me the next steps are not to cut the hole in the floor wider and insulate the pipe to reduce vibration.
I may have to purchase a slow close valve for this one but my guess is a slow close SOV will cost me an arm and a let.

Please anyone give me some suggestions that i can try... I am all out of ideas.

Back