RainHead vibrates HydroRail

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twva

Reaction score
I installed a Kohler HydroRail R-Beam (K-45212) with an 8" Round 2.5 GPM Rainhead (K-13692) and a Forte 2.5GPM Hand Shower (K-22165). The water pressure is just over 60psi. Overall a solid fixture and I like it. However when the diverter is up for the RainHead the HydroRail vibrates just enough that the audible hum/echo is annoying to me. There is no vibration with the diverter pointed down for the Hand Shower. There is also no vibration if I temporarily try a more basic, lighter weight showerhead in place of the Rainhead. I have called Kohler and their support seems awesome and willing to replace whatever I need.

On further investigation and testing it seems that the nature of the RainHead is causing the HydroRail to vibrate at or around the Showhead Adapter Assembly which is echoing somewhat through the rest of the piping. Not sure if this is a common issue with any HydroRail + RainHead, or if I should ask Kohler to replace the Showhead Adapter Assembly or the whole HydroRail?

Last edited:
I ended up replacing the "high end," heavy, 8" Round GPM Rainhead (K-13692) with a "lower end," lighter Awaken Rainhead (76464-Y-BN) and the vibration is eliminated. The "high end" Rainhead is absolutely beautiful and feels more like real rain and is at least twice the price. Some users might say they don't notice the vibration or care. But, in my opinion, the "high end," heavier Rainhead should be recommended with the Hydroril ONLY WITH a disclaimer that it may cause some vibration. ... In my case the piping inside the Hydrorail vibrates against the Hydrorail's exterior when the "higher end" Rainhead is used. For the record, replacing the showerhead adapter assembly made no difference, and the Hydrorail itself is fixed solidly to the wall. Kohler has been fully and quickly willing to work with me, and is sending me another Hydrorail (on long back-order), so we will see what happens. In any case I would still recommend the Hydrorail as a functional and good looking retrofit. I wish there had been some experience with the various showerhead options documented somewhere.

Latest posts

Back