Radiators are all hot after indirect water heater installed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfos24

Reaction score
I recently had a new indirect hot water heater installed (had an oil fueled water heater prior) which uses the oil fueled boiler that i use to heat my house. The heating system worked fine before the installation. After installation the main zone of heat would not come on. Plumber came back and fixed some wiring. Now all of the radiators and base board in the house are hot. He claims its due to something called 'floating heat' caused by the boiler turning on to heat the hot water but since the circulating pumps are old, the boiler is sending hot water through to the heating system. Something seems off about this, why wouldn't he have discussed or solved for this during the install? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm also attempting to attach a video that I just sent to my plumber. It is a video showing the boiler on and running but none of the switch lights are green. Then the boiler turns off and the lights stay the same.PXL_20201007_225553160.jpgPXL_20201007_225553160.jpgPXL_20201007_225542509.jpgPXL_20201007_225533145.jpg

I don't see a flow check. Without one you are getting what is called gravity feed. The hot water rises from the boiler and the cold waterfalls from above creating circulation.

Yup, makes perfect sense. I can't thank you enough... Would expect that flow checks would be installed during the installation of the indirect water heater?

I think some circulator pumps have a built in check valve, which can fail, and is sometimes removed anyway.

Latest posts

Back