question on drain distance from Vent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpokerwinski

Reaction score
I have a shower I am moving and the shower (2" pipe) is about 10 feet from the vent. Is this adequate, I know it is close to the max distance.
Jim

Ur fine it will function properly as long as you have enough fall on drain line

I do not care about other plumbers opinions, The only opinion to me that matters is what the code book says

@journeyman :D cautioned you in post #2, :rolleyes: I cautioned you in post #5
you are 2' over the maximum 8' allowed for a 2'' dirty arm, if you do not put the correct fall on the pipe, hair is going to clog the drain . :p

slope.png

Totally agree that 1/4" /ft slope is what is required, however, as the plumbers know, at a distance of 8 ft plus, you lose the venting capability since the amount of slope starts exceeding the diameter of the pipe.
I agree that the scouring action provided by the 1/4" is more important(in this case), however, I thought there may be an exception for the maximum distance for a tub or shower, for a single bathroom. In other words a wet vent. Is this true?
I thought I saw it in one of the codes but can't seem to find it.

Last edited:
Totally agree that 1/4" /ft slope is what is required, however, as the plumbers know, at a distance of 8 ft plus, you lose the venting capability since the amount of slope starts exceeding the diameter of the pipe.
I agree that the scouring action provided by the 1/4" is more important(in this case), however, I thought there may be an exception for the maximum distance for a tub or shower, for a single bathroom. In other words a wet vent. Is this true?
I thought I saw it in one of the codes but can't seem to find it.

ahhhhh..took me a minute to figure out what you are asking
you are asking if a 3'' pipe can be used instead of a 2'' pipe for the shower at a 1/8'' pitch
i would say yes, but, doesn't the code restrict the size of tap?

I would only increase to 3 if there are a lot of body sprayers code states 2 inch on shower your line going to main is gonna be 2 inch

ahhhhh..took me a minute to figure out what you are asking
you are asking if a 3'' pipe can be used instead of a 2'' pipe for the shower at a 1/8'' pitch
i would say yes, but, doesn't the code restrict the size of tap?
No...2" drain exceeding the 8 ft requirement.
I believe I found it in the Mass code. May be a bit different then the International or the Uniform Plumbing codes. Didn't look back at those codes.
It comes under the provisions of wet vents, in the Mass. code.
"(b) Bathtub or Shower Wet Vent. In a single bathroom having a common horizontal waste for a lavatory and bathtub, a two inch waste and vent for the lavatory may serve as a wet vent for the bathtub or shower."
I believe it's based based on the fact that they don't exceed 2 Fixture Units(FU's). You're allowed to have a little whirlpool effect.

Back