question i REALLY need answered i am stumped

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackenziesmommy06

Reaction score
ok we are stumped...we have a well pump if we turn the pump on with faucets open we get water fine but as soon as we turn off a valve we lose all water and the pump loses its prime and all pressure...any ideas??

This isn't my area of expertise, but I am about to go over to a friend's place who is a well and pump service guy. I will try to remember to ask him your question, and will post any insight he may have. In addition, we have a few well guys/gals who frequent the forum, who no doubt will chime in.

OK, my buddy's input is as follows.

There are about 10 or so different things that could be causing your problem. Basically, you need someone who knows how to diagnose the problem to look at it first person.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

ok we are stumped...we have a well pump if we turn the pump on with faucets open we get water fine but as soon as we turn off a valve we lose all water and the pump loses its prime and all pressure...any ideas??

Ok, there is something missing here.
If there is a suction leak, it would not keep its prime even long enough to run any amount of water.
Even with a tiny suction leak, it would lose its prime before building enough pressure to get water to the house.

There should be a gage very close to the pump.The gage would be mounted on a back pressure valve. There is a diaphragm inside that may have gone bad.
The gage should show around 50 to 75 psi when the pump is running. This is called the jet pressure. Its the pressure that is needed to pull in water from the well. If this pressure is to low, it will not pull enough water in to keep the pump going. The motor will keep running, but won't supply any amount of water.

Just some thoughts I had.
Without seeing it in person, Im going on what I have seen before.
Getting a well guy out there to see what you have may be a good idea.

It would be helpful to know what kind of pump you have, jet or submersible. What valve is it that your shutting off, a faucet or a main valve. You said the pump loses it's prime, so it sounds like a jet pump, but they have shallow well jets and deep well jets. Which do you have?

Is this a new install or an existing pump that just started acting up?

Latest posts

Back