Question About Drain Set-up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottW

Reaction score
Hi all. I am currently remodeling our kitchen. Our kitchen sink sits in the middle of the room, so the drain does not run through the wall. In the picture attached, you will see what my drain set-up looks like.

The new sink I purchased is a rectangle and the bottom of the sink runs into the drain line, so I cannot fit the sink into the space. I need about 5-6 inches to make it work. My plan is to cut the drain pipes and make them shorter. I talked to a friend who builds houses and he said the reason they made it so high was so that it could "breathe". He said the rule of thumb for middle of the room sinks is that the drain lines need to be higher than the bottom of the sink.

My question is, if I cut the pipes 5 inches so they sit under the bottom of the sink, will that be an issue? Thanks a lot.

Yes the vent needs to be higher the the flood rim level of the sink. If the sink ever backed up it would flow into the vent and not the sink itself

Thanks for the response. What if I capped the vent pipe and put an air admittance valve on the drain pipe? Would that not suffice?

That is called an island vent. Around here they would let us cap the vent line down low and take two 45's over the top of the tee and move it off to the right side and then put a AAV on has high a possible so you can replace it if necessary. Didn't see your response until I posted.

Thanks again for the response.

I have no room in my cabinet to move the pipe out of the way The sink is taking up any room that the pipes would have to be moved over...plus next to it are drawers, so I can't really run it up through there. So my only option is to cut the pipe and put the AAV on so that it all sits right underneath the bottom of the sink basin. Do you think that would be ok?

Latest posts

Back