Qualified Potable Water Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWOL22

Reaction score
Hey all:
New to this forum. I am in the middle of construction in my house. I asked the contractor to re-build the water tree that enters into my house through the basement. I had a bad pressure regulating valve giving me 100 psi through the house. So I had him replace that as well as add a Moen leak detector and give me some stand offs for a future water softener that I am going to install.

I wanted bypass for both the water softener and the Moen leak detector. For this I asked for 3 way T port valves.

The plumbing contractor ended up buying these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09719YL4X/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1
I expected a more expensive Brass 3 way T port valve but this is what he went for. He says it is safe for potable water since it is stainless steel 304 but I don't see any mention of "potable" on the link. It says it is ok for use with water but doesn't specify "potable".

Should I be concerned about these valves or are all stainless steel ball valves that are rated for "water" can also be accepted as safe for "potable water" as well?

Thanks all!

Generally SS is perfectly fine, as long as your chlorine level is below 6 PPM. Twowax read further and serious note on that valve is the valve is NOT full port. We never use non-full port.

Last edited:
Thanks breplum! If for whatever reason chlorine goes above 6 PPM does the SS start to corrode or what happens?

Thanks breplum! If for whatever reason chlorine goes above 6 PPM does the SS start to corrode or what happens?
Corrosion but don’t worry, even pools shouldn’t have levels that high much less drinking water.

That valve isn’t full port. That means it’s opening are reduced. I personally wouldn’t use it.

Corrosion but don’t worry, even pools shouldn’t have levels that high much less drinking water.

That valve isn’t full port. That means it’s opening are reduced. I personally wouldn’t use it.
Twowaxhack:
Thanks for the comments. Are you saying I'll have reduced flow? And my mistake for full port. Yes they are T port.

Wouldn't use them because of flow limit or other reasons?

Thanks.

They limit flow and they’re of unknown quality from Amazon.

The specifications list it’s not full port.

I know that reduced port valves limit flow based on information I’ve read and results from in the field installations.

T-port and L-port simply refers to the shape of the ports in the ball, not the size of the holes in the ball.

A "full port" valve simply means that the size of the holes in the ball are the same size as the pipe ID in which the ball valve is installed and says nothing about the port directions in the ball. As such, if the valve is not full port, it will restrict the flow because the holes in the ball are smaller than the connecting pipe. The amount of reduced flow depends on flow rate and pressure. But it will restrict flow by some amount.

Back