PVC primer/cement not hardening?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffer1034

Reaction score
So I replaced a PVC toilet flange yesterday. Today I wanted to make sure the joints were hardened before putting the toilet back on. So I was gently pushing on the excess primer/cement near the joints with a small screwdriver to make sure they were hardened.

Its tough to tell in most spots, but where ever I got a bit of excess I could tell that I can easily push on this excess with the screwdriver. I was expecting it to be rock hard.

I used a standard purple primer with a general purpose schedule 40/80 cement. Note that my PVC is schedule 30 (which I understand is just thin wall schedule 40).

Am I doing something wrong? Its been 24 hours now.

It is not uncommon for thicker "chunks" of PVC cement to remain somewhat soft for an extended period of time. And the heavier duty cements, such as one intended for Schedule 80, do take even longer to completely dry than do light duty cements. As long as you completely covered both inner and outer surfaces with the primer and cement, and pushed the joint together fully, you should be good to go. Just make sure you anchor the outer ring of the flange to the floor securely.

Thanks. I definitely did anchor the flange to the floor. Way better than the original install.../sigh.

I'm okay to start dumping water/waste down the drain then?

Back