pumping uphill

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadus

Reaction score
My neighbor wants to put a bathroom in his basement. The toilet will be situated directly underneath the 4" sewer line exiting the wall (to the outside) at about 5' up. I priced a special pump unit for this task at HD and found one for $625...is there a cheaper way to handle this?

On another topic but related, should I frame up walls with plumbing in them using 2X6 or does it depend only on the diameter of the pipe passing through that wall?

Thanks much.

Gadus, you can get a sewage ejection system that sets below the floor cheaper - If you are doing a complete bathroom (Toilet,sink,shower/tub) I would recommend you go this way, The draw back is you having to jack hammer the floor . 2 x 4 walls should be fine, the discharge line on a sewage ejection system is 2''.

Thanks for that. There's no shower so I think we'll go with an above-floor unit. I'm looking at Saniflo products in advance of my meeting with the plumber. He has not installed one of these before but he's a capable guy and I'm sure will figure it out. Do you have any recs regarding good brands? The toilet is going to get a fair bit of use. We also need to be able to connect a sink to the pump unit. Thanks again.

G.

The biggest draw back with Saniflo is your limited as to the type toilet you can use. If you go with a pump and basin setup you have many more options available to you. Not sure what your needs are but as IFIXH2O said being able to install a shower could be a big plus. There are many good basin systems that you can get for a cheaper price then Saniflo. The other thing to think about is servicing the unit. (and it will be needed) It can make quite a mess if you have to service it in a finished room as apposed to having the tank in a unfinished area. In my opinion these short comings not worth avoiding cutting a hole in the floor.

John

The biggest draw back with Saniflo is your limited as to the type toilet you can use. If you go with a pump and basin setup you have many more options available to you. Not sure what your needs are but as IFIXH2O said being able to install a shower could be a big plus. There are many good basin systems that you can get for a cheaper price then Saniflo. The other thing to think about is servicing the unit. (and it will be needed) It can make quite a mess if you have to service it in a finished room as apposed to having the tank in a unfinished area. In my opinion these short comings not worth avoiding cutting a hole in the floor.

John

I agree John

Thanks to both of you. The space is too small for a shower, though they could certainly use another one in the house. The owner has just decided to use some Brazilian cherry on the floor. In light of the servicing issue, I wish he'd left well enough alone and stayed with the unfinished cement floor. Is there a simple something to slip between toilet (and pump behind it) and floor which might save the hardwood from potential water damage? Just finished a tile job, don't want to drag my tools out again.

Wood floors in basement -- not a fan. Even with moisture barrier, subfloor, and a dehumidifer I am still not a fan of wood floors in a basement (too much moisture). Is there a sump pump, floor drain , water heater or furnace in the basement -- Is it a walk out basement or just walk up stairs ?

Last edited:
I don't like it either but that's what they're paying me to do so that's what I'm doing but I'm hopeful, based on no obvious signs of moisture damage 10 yrs on that we can avoid those problems. Big woodstove 10-12 feet away from bathroom wall; when she's cranking, it's dry as a bone down there. It's a walk-out basement, no sump, no drain. It's essentially a double-wide on a foundation, what do you want? Anyway, I'll BINZ the hell out of the rock and there won't be anything touching the cement wall (left open) except for the ends of two stud walls.

Back