Pump Quit! Can I pull it using pvc?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antlerman

Reaction score
Moved into this home 2 years ago. Six months ago we had our pressure tank replaced along with pressure switch. Lately, the pump seemed to kick on more often than needed. Tonight it just up and quit. I have power to the switch and the tank has been emptied of all its water. I'm assuming the tank emptied as my wife and daughter didn't realize the pump had quit and kept running the water.

Now I want to pull the pump and replace it. However, in the recent tank replacement fiasco I was made aware of a few things.
First, the well is 50 years old and the pump hasn't been replaced for 20 years. The well company was concerned about pulling the pump saying that it could damage the well casing - which is steel and is only 4" in diameter. Evidently the pump will be pretty tight coming out of the well and may break off rusted spots that could then leak and, unfortunately, require drilling a new well!

Second, when I take the cap off the well there is a pvc pipe that is flush with the well cap. I was told that my type of pitless adapter relies on the weight of the pump to keep enough pressure on it, as well as the pvc pipe extending from the pitless adapter to the well cap - which holds it down too.

Can I grab ahold of the pvc and pull the pump with it? Is it strong enough or will it break? The last home I lived in had a 6" pvc well casing and a horseshoe type of pitless adapter. This required a steel t-bar that was threaded into the top of the adapter then you could pull it out safely.

Your input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

NO!!! If the pump has been down ole that long, you will have to work hard to get the pitiless adapter to come loose. You will need to replace that PVC with a steel pipe.

Oh, that makes sense, that's what I used at previous home.
So, i envision taking off the pvc and then making one from same size with steel by using a T pipe to make the handle and having it extend a couple feet above the well casing for some room to work on pulling it out. Does that sound right?

NO!!! If the pump has been down ole that long, you will have to work hard to get the pitiless adapter to come loose. You will need to replace that PVC with a steel pipe.
Great advice! Added steel pipe handle and successfully pulled pump.

Great advice! Added steel pipe handle and successfully pulled pump.

Ok, so when I pulled the pump this is the pitless adapter I found:

Attachments

• 20201015_101424.jpg
    20201015_101424.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
My question: Do I just "fish around" to find the whole it goes into - when dropping the pump back in ?

Back