Proper way to plumb claw foot tub's drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackB

Reaction score
I have a house with a claw foot tub that started to have a leak where the drain connected to the plumbing below the floor. It was impossible to source exact replacements so I am redoing it with modern hardware. I'm doing the work myself and have passed inspection but now I am second guessing how I was going to do it and want to see what professionals usually do.
I'm really not finding information about how this is usually done online as it seems that every web page wants to talk about how to install just the plumbing on the tub itself and neglects talking about how to connect that to the drain pipe in the floor. In my case, I don't have easy access to the plumbing from the floor below as there is a built-in cabinet directly below there.
Referring to the picture below, my original intent was to connect a longer brass tube into point B before I installed the floor and then carefully slip that tube into point A once the tub was in place and tighten things up using the silver threaded ring and a rubber gasket at point A. Things that are making me second guess myself are that the tub plumbing kit didn't come with the silver ring even though it did have threads to use it. I also see that I can thread a tube into the inside of the brass tee. When I put the floor down, I will no-longer have access to the white tightening knob for the tube between A and B. Additionally, I see another option that has some sort of large port that sits above the floor that you just slip the tube into and are done. It is big and ugly though and I would like things in this bathroom to look nice.

So what do people usually do?
1. Put in the floor with the pipe sticking up and attach with the ring and rubber gasket.
2. Put in the floor and tub and then put everything together from the next floor down.
3. Use one of the ugly ports that sits above the floor
4. Extend the abs plumbing so that the white nut is above the floor

Note, I was able to take things out for this picture because there is a Fernco on both ends because I have to attach to older pipes.

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
I stub my pvc trap adapter so the nut is 1” above the finished floor.

A deep escutcheon hides the nut after the brass drain connects to it.

I stub my pvc trap adapter so the nut is 1” above the finished floor.

A deep escutcheon hides the nut after the brass drain connects to it.
Thank you! I was looking for something like that but had no idea what to call it. I have one on order now and will redo things.

Back