Propane Line to house

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadgetwen

Reaction score
Hello, I've got a strange issue here. I live in the Northcentral WA state where many of us have propane tanks outside our homes for 1 or 2 appliances (like ranges and fireplaces). Since power is so cheap, everything else is electric.

I have a propane range, and while cleaning it a few days ago, I thought I smelled propane. I called the gas company, came right out and hooked up their testing gauge to my propane line, claimed there was a leak, and locked my tank until a licensed plumber could find/fix the leak. The plumber can out yesterday, spent 3 hours testing and re-testing and found no leak. He ran green dye through the line (found no trace of it inside), hooked an air compressor up and got it up to 100psi and detected no drop in pressure. He even hooked up his gauges to my grill propane tank to prove their accuracy. He left a gauge on overnight, with pressure, and it was still holding steady at 15psi the next day.

So I had the gas company come back, they quickly hooked up their pressure tester again, claimed there was still a leak, and told me to call the plumber back. Now, I'm stuck. The plumber said he did everything he could. I suspect the gas company has a faulty gauge or something. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

If you only smell it when you open the range door, it could be the regulator at the back of the range where the gas connects to it. I have had this issue before, best way to pin point the leak is to use a gas sniffer.

Yeah if the lines tested ok, it may be the stove.

Latest posts

Back