Procedures To Prevent Water Pipes Bursting in Cold Weather

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYDude

Reaction score
Hi All,

What are ways to prevent the water pipes bursting in the winter? I assume it is non issue if outside temp doesn't fall near or under 20 degree F, correct? I've heard to pour anti-freeze into toilet, sinks and bath tub. I assume that is useful only if I turn the water main valve off. I am planning to do the oil to gas conversion and do not want to buy a new oil tank. Thanks!

Are you meaning you are leaving the house without any heat and want to "winterize" it?

First of all, it depends on your location and layout of the house. Water freezes at 32 degrees F, so if a house is empty and the outside temperature is 25 for a few cloudy days, you could have problems. The best way to "winterize" a house is to drain and blow out the water lines. Vacation homes in very cold climates often have connections to do that. And yes on the antifreeze for the toilet and ALL P-traps; kitchen sink, bathroom sinks, showers, tubs, washing machines, etc. Use RV antifreeze, not auto antifreeze.

Turn off the main water valve and turn on all the faucets until there are no water coming out. Is that what you mean by blow out the water lines? There is a water valve in the boiler room. I don't get any water after I turned that off. I'm not sure if there is another main water valve outside of the house. The utility company has a water valve located in my front lawn which I don't believe I can turn that one off. Yes, there will be no heat in the house.

By blowing out the water lines, I mean with an air compressor to empty the lines. If your basement has washing machine faucets, I would take the hoses off them and attach an air compressor to a hose bib outside and open all the faucets to blow out any water in the lines. Open the water heater drain valve and that should drain the water out of the hit water lines. As you don't have natural gas, I assume you have an electric water heater. You don't need to empty the water heater, just drain enough to empty the hot water lines. Just opening the faucets will still leave water in the lies that can freeze and burst the lines.

What type of air compressor do I need for this job? I hope it is electric. I use oil burner for both heat and hot water.

OK, then if you are leaving the house empty without any heat, you DO need to empty the water heater as well.

Yes, most air compressors are electric.

WE winterize a hundred or so buildings every year. We have installed a tee with a pressure guage, and then a valve, and then a bushing, and air fitting on he discharge side of all the water heaters. But it will work on the cold side too.

WE read he pressure gauge to see what pressure the system is seeing, close the valve on he cold feed to the heater, then set the regulator on the compressor to the pressure we read, and then drain the water heater first. It is then an extra pressure tank. Setting the pressure to a little below he pressure the system sees, doesn’t over pressurize and blow things up.

Let the compressor run until the pressure builds, and then drain the hot side before opening the cold feed valve and draining the cold side. Don’t forget the hose bibs.

Use RV antifreeze, in the traps it won’t kill off he bacteria in the septic system.

You could probably prevent freeze up with a few electric heaters.

Latest posts

Back