Problem with toilet device not rising.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentthread

Reaction score
Hi, first I want to thank you for having this forum.

I have a problem at home with one of my toilets. (see attached picture)
Can I fix this or do I need professional help?

I appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks again.

plumbing problem.jpg

Silentthread, you can make that repair. (on a scale of 1-10 for a DIY, maybe a 2-4). I would replace the Fill Valve & Flapper, just read the instructions carefully. Retighten the tank level ( Nut tighten counterclock wise). Before any plumbing repairs, make sure the shutoff valve is working properly. If you have any question, someone here will be gald to help. good luck.

You may not need to replace anything. From the looks of the fill valve you have the refill tube (small black rubber hose) pushed down to far into the overflow. If the bottom of that tube is below the water level in the tank it will siphon the water out of the tank. Just pull that tube up so it just fits into overflow.

John

Thank you all for your help. I moved the refill tube up and I'm going to keep a close eye on it. It's working. Thanks again!

Snip off the excess black hose with a pair of scissors or this problem will return someday soon. I also like the black hose securely mounted within the fill tube because if it falls out and points at the lid, you will end up with a wet floor.

Back