Problem tub drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been worrying about how to fix this tub drain for a while. This place was built in the 1920's, and from the valve and tub design, I think that this tub is original. There was 1 1/2" tubular brass coming up from the trap that is concealed under the floor. The tubular joins with the trap through some type of solder or poured lead joint, the lead seems to be puddled on top of the connection. This is slightly visible in the attached picture.

Anyway, the tubular brass had holes corroded in it. I ended up using a plastic tubular compression drain kit and attaching it to the tubular brass with a trimmed down Fernco rubber coupling. Just enough of the brass tube was left to get a the clamp on.

Question: Is this likely a cast iron trap underneath the floor covering? Is there another, better way of repairing this that I haven't thought of?

IMG_20111213_173324.jpg

If it's the original pipe from the 20's then it's a lead trap.Unless your prepared to replace the trap along with some lead pipe I would leave well enough alone. But let me say this your in for some major plumbing repairs in your near future.

John

I'm installing a walk in tub with the drain opposite the existing one (from the old tub I am taking out). Is it possible to just flip the new foot

i did a walk in tub last week, my first.. the overflow is a problem in a way because it was the mechanical type pop up overflow and it conflicted with spacing for the tub spout. we offset the spout to a corner and put the pull out showerhead in the middle sectin between the hot and cold and it worked well and looks pretty good. make sure you measure many times and be certain before you make any holes for handles spout and showerhead... drill with a cupsaw in reverse. hooking one up with the existing drain on the opposite side is asking for much cursing and hard times.

Back