Pressure testing PEX lines leading away from a ManaBloc?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Reaction score
Hi!

I seem to have a very small leak in one of many line leading away from my ManaBloc distribution system. I need to do an air pressure test to identify the culprit and snake in a replacement. For those who may not know the ManaBloc, this link (http://www.viega.us/cps/rde/xbcr/en-us/TD-PF_0615_(ManaBloc).pdf) shows the design. I would prefer to not cut off the connectors that are already attached to the tubing (if possible) and would rather do the pressure test with the existing connector.

Does anyone know either: 1) a source for a tool that allows me to do the pressure test with the current connector? or 2) How and where to purchase the needed parts to construct my own pressure test adapter?

Thanks for all possible suggestions!

Vince

search

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=air+test+gauge+assembly&view=detailv2&&id=5FC94E2E24A911338CCEC0A56D42E62DFC493823&selectedIndex=1&ccid=smtDA6zh&simid=608035050651910763&thid=OIP.Mb26b4303ace1e7d4b102aad3835b44b8o0

Thanks! But I looking for a pressure test gizmo that will directly connect to the connector from the ManaBloc. Those do not appear to do so (or am I missing something?)

Vince

buy est block and adapter

1, attach a pipe to the block
2, attach pipe to adapter
3, screw test block onto adapter
4, fill system with air
5. find leak
6, fix leak
7. remove test block
8. turn on water

Now I get it. I was not thinking about it correctly. Thanks!

Vince

buy est block and adapter

1, attach a pipe to the block
2, attach pipe to adapter
3, screw test block onto adapter
4, fill system with air
5. find leak
6, fix leak
7. remove test block
8. turn on water

Frodo, you seem to have a lot of experience. I have a good question for you! Seriously! My master plumber and I have been on this subject for a while now. We run under the UPC. Not sure if you do but here goes. We always test our PEX installations with air just like you do!

So here's the deal, the UPC states in the water supply section chapter 6 that ,"except for plastic piping", the system may be tested with air.

The UPC refers to PVC , CPVC, ABS as plastic pipe, it refers to PEX as "plastic" tubing.

The word pipe is defined as follows:

pipe

a tube of metal, plastic, or other material used to convey water, gas, oil, or other fluid substances.
synonyms: tube, conduit, hose, main, duct, line, channel, pipeline, drain;

Your thoughts on this please!!!

turn the water on or test with 50 psi air for 15 minutes

Rite, but it says "except for plastic piping " you can test with air. We test with air all the time anyway on PEX, as water would just make a big mess.,

But I guess our question here is, where as the code refers to PEX as "plastic tubing" and not "plastic piping" it makes me wonder if that wording would allow the testing of PEX with air in a "code rite" worded way, by calling it tube and not pipe! Not a big deal Just food for thought on the subject matter. Referenced from 2015 UPC.

I guess the show stopper here would be to see how IAPMO defines the word tube!

Last edited:
Back