Powder Room Addition

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walnut

Reaction score
My property is located in Pennsylvania and was built in 1866. It is a brick row home and clearly does not have updated plumbing. It has one second floor bathroom with a single vent stack for the house. Adding an additional vent stack to the property is not preferred since the walls are plaster lath on brick with no space for plumbing.

I would like to add a first floor powder room. The only location that is feasible is about 5' offset from the soil stack coming down from second floor. I am not a plumber and plan to have one in to perform the necessary work per the regs, but otherwise I am handling my own demo and build.

I am in the initial planning stages and am considering possible toilet locations. The attached picture is my current situation. The 4" iron pipe coming down the slight angle is the stack and joins with the main 4" horizontal waste line below.

As long as the plumber can achieve acceptable grade, would the red schematic be appropriate (please pardon the poor drawing)? In particular, the 90 degree bend to the 45 degree connection to the main stack

IMG_20160221_163931_kindlephoto-23836767.jpg

walnut,
take a glass, fill with water, put a straw in the glass.

press your thumb on the open end of the straw while picking it up from the glass.

the liquid will stay in the straw, no vent

remove your thumb from the end of the straw, vent

you need to rethink your project, a licensed plumber will not install a toilet with out a vent

Frodo,
Thank you for replying. I would be connecting to the main stack. That would vent the line would it not?

Frodo is right, That would not work as a vent.
There are a lot of threads here on venting. Search through them.
Maybe it will give you some insight.

Back