Potential Switch to Tankless

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfung1279

Reaction score
Hi All,

We recently moved into a new townhome using a hybrid water heater tank (50g). We've been running into issues during this winter where we are running out of hot water much faster than expected. We come from a navien combi boiler back in our old condo. My wife likes to take long showers, accustomed from the tankless system. I've been maxing out the temp at night time and lowering the tanks temp during the day to try to prolong the capacity of hot water.

Before reaching out to any professionals, can someone help us with what likely we'll need? Our heating system is listed as Gas/Electric, all forced air/no baseboards. We shouldnt need to replace the furnace correct(we have two I believe, one one base floor next to the water tank and one on an upper floor)? If thats the case a combination boiler wouldnt be needed and it would just be replacing the water tank with a tankless water heater?

Switching to a combiboiler was a very large project at our previous condo, but would switching to a tankless water heater be a simpler transition?

IMG_1395.JPEGIMG_1396.JPEGIMG_1397.JPEG

off topic 1. You should have the AC secondary drain (red plug) fitted for a safety switch as per mfrs recommendations in case scum plugs the primary drain.
The only issue (aside from not being earth-friendly) with adding a gas tankless WH is that they require a lot of gas flow and that will mean a new home run from the meter AND a flue + air intake to outdoors. Plus drain safety pan piped to outdoors unless there is a floor drain. Which I assume there is as the T/P drain on the hybrid WH is supposed to go outside unless there is a floor drain.
You could be looking at $6k for the project. Let us know how bids come in.

The water tank sits on the ground level, I actually dont see any floor drains. The meters to the townhomes are quite a distance away from the actual units. Would we not be able to use an existing gasline or connect to the main? Additionally would a tankless system need a dedicated intake+exhaust from the furnace next to it? thx!

would a tankless system need a dedicated intake+exhaust from the furnace next to it? YES
Would we not be able to use an existing gasline NO. Tankless have very high gas flow needs. 199,000 BTU

A tankless unit will require its own intake and exhaust. Is the hybrid in the same closet as the furnace? If so there is a 3/4" gas line right there that could possibly be used if the sizing works. It's not impossible but would take some figuring to make sure it is done right.

A tankless unit will require its own intake and exhaust. Is the hybrid in the same closet as the furnace? If so there is a 3/4" gas line right there that could possibly be used if the sizing works. It's not impossible but would take some figuring to make sure it is done right.
Yes the first furnace pictured is to the left of the water heater. The wall pictured is a shared wall with the next unit, the exterior of the house is maybe 6 feet to the left of the furnace.

Back