Potential frost damage caused leak?!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iti_Paps

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question for the professional plumbers among you.

I live in a new build home and we have an outside tap which was in situ when we purchased. Yesterday afternoon a pipe burst under the sink in our kitchen where the outside tap connects in to. The leak ran for about 20 mins and subsequently flooded the ground floor. We had some plumber attend who installed a double check valve above a compression valve (I don't think the double check valve was there before!). The plumbers were the original installers of the pipe work and I think they're covering up the mistake of not have this valve in place and blaming it on frost damage.

My understanding of installation is; outside tap with check valve connecting to pipe through insulated cavity wall, pipe work should have an anti frost protection sleeve which then runs into pipe work under sink in the kitchen. Is there any legislation that building company's should be using when installing outside taps? Could a pipe have blown due to frost damage internally given that the pipe work should have been properly insulated in the cavity wall, the internal pipe work is not in sub zero temperatures to freeze and the double check valve at the tap end shouldn't allow any water through the pipe anyway?

Lastly, when an olive is on a pipe, there is no way that's coming off if it's fitted correctly, yes?

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers in advance!

Tom

Ok I have never heard of a check valve on a hose bib but have heard of anti-siphon devices. But the are usually on it outside. It is the homeowners responsibility to shut off the hose bibs using the inside shut off valves to them and open the outside to keep them from freezing. Not everyone does it. Hind sight is 20/20

Reactions: SHR

Latest posts

Back