Plumbing mystery? Need help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrnba

Reaction score
In my home, my plumbing randomly makes a surging/tapping/knocking sound that lasts from 15 seconds to 1 minute; two to three times per day. This plumbing sound started about 6 to 8 months ago. It is most loud near a water heater that is adjacent to where the main water supply enters the house. My home has two 50 gal water heaters on the same floor and the noise also comes from near the other water heater; but not as loud. When I place my hand on the main pipe or pipes of the water heater, I can feel the vibration. It also can sometimes go away when we turn the water on while it is making the noise. I have replaced the pressure reducing valve on my home and have added thermal expansion tanks on both water heaters. The water heaters also have water hammer arrestors on them. I have checked my water meter for flow while everything is turned off in the house to check for a leak; no leak detected. Since I changed out the PRV, the sound is not as loud. The surging sound does not sound like loose plumbing. Recently, we had two separate showers running at the same time-each shower is supplied by its own water heater; a few minutes after the showers were turned off, the surging sound began and lasted longer and louder than it had ever done before. I will try to attach a link to this thread so you can hear the sound. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated.

Back