Plumbing help-failed inspection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtperez3

Reaction score
I failed my plumbing inspection today because I used a sanitary tee. The only explanation that I received is "4" double sanitary tee cannot be used underneath. Used approved fitting". I have attached a photo of my work (no, I am not a licensed plumber). Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• Home plumbing.jpg
    Home plumbing.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 34
It should be a 4” double wye with St. 45’s added to make a 4” double combination or you could buy a 4” double combination. Which ever way is cheaper.

Newer toilets will shoot water across the sanitary cross so they don’t allow it within a certain measurement from the toilets. One of yours is too close, I think the minimum distance is 18”, maybe more.

The sanitary tee directly under the toilet is wrong also. No sanitary tee should be laid on it’s back in the drainage system, some codes allow it if the vertical is vent only, yours isn’t venting, it’s receiving flow from the toilet above.

After asking and research. This is what i've come up with. better?

Attachments

• Home plumbing-3.jpg
    Home plumbing-3.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 33
It is probably what the inspector was indicating and that is a double wye like TWx stated to use.
Never use a Tee on its back, a combo is what should be there for the vent, but it is not piped properly with drainage coming in on it.
It is not a UPC approved assembly, but your inspector may approve.

My latest projections. How does this look?

Attachments

• Home plumbing-4.jpg
    Home plumbing-4.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 11
I don’t like because the toilet is wet vented by the washing machine.

I don’t like because the toilet is wet vented by the washing machine.

Soooo would a 3x3x1.5 (or 2") santee between the WC and 4" stack with a horizonal tie-in at least 6" above the WC work?

Should you have the same on the other side for the kitchen/bath?

Soooo would a 3x3x1.5 (or 2") santee between the WC and 4" stack with a horizonal tie-in at least 6" above the WC work?

Should you have the same on the other side for the kitchen/bath?

No, it still would be wet venting the toilet by a high flow fixture that suds.

On the other side those are low flow non sudsing fixtures.

The solution is to vent the toilet so that wash water doesn’t flow between the toilet and the toilets vent.

Don’t wet vent a toilet with a washing machine.

However, the toilet also has the kitchen vent, you could say that the toilet is wet vented through the kitchen vent.

So you could eliminate all the vents on the right side of the toilet. The washing machine is vented separately but it runs horizontal a little too low. Most codes require at least one 3” vent through the roof.

It’ll work fine.

Last edited:
When I first started plumbing and being taught plumbing the codes and how our shop practiced were more stringent on venting than most codes today.

Sure we cheated but in general there was less horizontal wet venting than what’s allowed today.

Back