Plumbers Transferring Business From Local Supply Stores to Amazon?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumb54

Reaction score
Hi, I'm an analyst researching trends in the plumbing industry, and I have a question only for the professional plumbers here (as opposed to DIY guys):

I would like to understand what are your views on Amazon's increasing BTB supply business, specifically regarding plumbing products?

Do you think a few years from now you would transfer a material part of your business from local supply stores (such as Ferguson) to Amazon Business?

What would be the main reasons you would or wouldn't do so (such as price, convenience, etc.)?

Which features that Amazon can add would cause you to transfer more of your business to Amazon?

Alternatively, which features local supply stores can add to cause you to keep your business with them?

Any additional insights would be helpful.

Many thanks in advance!

If I needed a big item and amazon was cheaper than the supply houses around here I wouldn't have a problem buying from them. Amazon is usually higher priced on items that I have looked at.

If I needed a big item and amazon was cheaper than the supply houses around here I wouldn't have a problem buying from them. Amazon is usually higher priced on items that I have looked at.

Tom, many thanks for that.
Regarding the higher prices - do you refer to Amazon Business (their BTB marketplace) or to the regular Amazon retail?

Tom, many thanks for that.
Regarding the higher prices - do you refer to Amazon Business (their BTB marketplace) or to the regular Amazon retail?

Just the regular Amazon site. I have purchased items on amazon that isn't plumbing related.

I dislike Amazon myself. Deliveries for needed items can be as quick as 2 days, but other times, parts won't arrive for 2-3 weeks. I'd rather drive 5 minutes away and pick up the part myself, and seeing it in my hands, I know it will be correct.

Maybe I would for specific items/fixtures, but when we are doing small scale service work we tend look and fetch. Of course there would be stock items and fittings which we like to have on hand and that could be possible. It’s hard to beat our local suppliers; call by 7:30; delivered by 9:00 to our shop and being as we are rural, Amazon would have a hard time matching that.

Just the regular Amazon site. I have purchased items on amazon that isn't plumbing related.

Thanks for the clarification.
I refer specifically to Amazon Business, which is a dedicated BTB marketplace they initiated about two years ago, and in which they try to be very competitive vs. local supply houses, regarding both prices and delivery terms.

Latest posts

Back