please help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syq4ever

Reaction score
I have an inspector coming later to check on the electrical panel that I am currently upgrading and part of the job is to ground/bound the water heater (according to the electrician). As the electrician was bounding some wire on my water heater, he noticed that the previous owner did not have the discharge pipe that is near the wall and run outside to the house connected to the TPR valve. So he said that I must have it connected as it is required and the inspector will look at it. So my question is, can I use this product from Home Depot to make the connection from the water heater release valve to the discharge pipe: Home Depot - 3/4 in. x 18 in. Lead Flexible Water Heater Connector 3/4 in. with Ball Valve customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Thank you so much for your help!

The Temp and pressure releif valve must terminate within 6" of the floor and Can NOT be a pipe with a melting point at less than 140 'f ( minimal hwt temp ) and ABSOLUTELY CANNOT have a isolation valve on it.

The Temp and pressure releif valve must terminate within 6" of the floor and Can NOT be a pipe with a melting point at less than 140 'f ( minimal hwt temp ) and ABSOLUTELY CANNOT have a isolation valve on it.

Thanks for the reply. From my understanding, the 6" gap between the discharge pipe and the floor is only if there is a drainage inlet right? I don't have one of those in my laundry room and I believe that is why I have the current pipe that is next to the wall and believe it drains to the outside of the house. It is a 60 years of home by the way.

Let me explain things a little more. The pipe that I mentioned above is about 3 feet from the TPR valve of the water heater. So what I need to do is connect the TPR valve to that pipe (according to my electrician) and I don't want to pay a plumber tocome and install any pipe that needs welding altough I know that would look more professional. So I was wondering if I can use the connector on the link above to connect the TPR valve to that pipe because I can do that myself.

Thanks

the 6" gap is because if this pipe were to discharge it would be Steam discharging, it is code to be 6" above the floor to eliminate the possability of someone becomeing horriblly burned ( I guess feet is okay ) on the torso or face. there should be a threaded connection on the bottom of the TPR valve that you can simplly thread a peice onto ( they sell the tpr drop pipes at Home depot for 6 bucks and although are not made from copper they sufffice ) You can use pretty much any connector to connect to this valve but it CANNOT have a valve on it as this would defeat the perpose of the safety and an inspector WILL fail the installation if there is a valve on it.

If shark Bite is Your liking then I would simply get a sharkbite coupling and a length of pipe and attach the 2 to the valve, it does not need to terminate outdoors or to a drain as this valve will only activat in an emergency situation and if it does it is a good idea to know that it has as Your HWT is encountering a problem to allow it to discharge.

the easyest ( and cheapest ) is to simply thread on a tNp releif ube to the TnP valve, running it to an outside source is moot.

hope this helps. :)

Back