Please help with my kitchen sink drain leaking issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

initid

Reaction score
So I was replacing the kitchen faucet on Saturday, after everything is done, I found there is very slow leak under the P trap. I investigated a bit further, it's the coupling from the P trap to a pipe that connects to the dishwasher's outgoing hose. There is some buildup at the end of the pipe (the end that connects to the coupling) and the scary thing is that if I put a little force on the pipe, it actually moves. I am afraid it's going to break soon.

Please see the attached pictures, on the P trap it's a male end with the outer diameter of 2 in, the copper pipe's outer diameter is 3/4 in.

Can I just buy a new female adapter (with its inner diameter of 2 in) something like Everbilt 2 in. Copper DWV Cup x FIP Female Adapter Fitting C903HD2 - The Home Depot, then use a flexible coupling to connect the new coupling to the copper pipe?

I would like to use a 2 in to 3/4 in reducer with a female end, but no luck. The aforementioned adapter is the only one I can find. I also have problem finding a fitting flexible reducing coupling to connect the new adapter to the copper pipe.

Any thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 0
  • pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 0
  • pipe3.jpg
    pipe3.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 0
That looks le an 1 1/2" waste tee, my old foreman used to pipe in dishwashers just like that, it looked like they soldered in the 1 1 1/2" scratch thread you can remove that waste tee (unsweat) it and solder in an1 1/2" street desanco and install a new dishwasher drain tailpeice

A decent plumber or handyperson would cut out the Cu DWV parts back to the drain coming out of the wall. Add a tubular dishwasher branch tailpiece up high or just mid, add a dishwasher air gap, and rebuild using poly p-trap.

A decent plumber or handyperson would cut out the Cu DWV parts back to the drain coming out of the wall. Add a tubular dishwasher branch tailpiece up high or just mid, add a dishwasher air gap, and rebuild using poly p-trap.
Why haven't I thought about that? I was trying to minimize the scope of fixing but it looks a lot easier just to rebuild the entire P-trap using all PVC pipes. I don't know how to solder but I think I can work with PVC.

Thank you!

That looks le an 1 1/2" waste tee, my old foreman used to pipe in dishwashers just like that, it looked like they soldered in the 1 1 1/2" scratch thread you can remove that waste tee (unsweat) it and solder in an1 1/2" street desanco and install a new dishwasher drain tailpeice
Thanks for the suggestion, I wish I knew how to solder.

[The quote was from a spammer, and has been banned permanently]

Thanks for reply, I have already determined what the cause is, its from the pipe that connects the drain and dishwasher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back