Pipe spins in fitting, will not come out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snick

Reaction score
I'm replacing a rusted out 3/4" gas line. It was corroded and leaking where it entered a concrete slab without a collar. I broke out a 6" square of concrete around it and applied a pipe wrench. After working it loose, and unscrewing it about 15 turns, I knew something was wrong when it wouldn't slide out.

I cleaned out the dirt surrounding it down to where it entered a 90 degree connection 16" down. Oddly, the top flange of the 90 is bright, like chrome or stainless steel. With a flashlight, I could see that the pipe would turn and the fitting was not turning.

I rotated the pipe while pulling up, and it wouldn't come out of the fitting! Then I put tension on it with 550 cord and a hydraulic jack (braced the fitting flange so it wouldn't come up)and gave it a couple more rotations. It didn't budge. :confused:

Before I break out more concrete, dig, and try to remove the fitting from the feed pipe, can I get any feedback as to what might be going on? Here's a picture. There are two nipples joined, everything turns but the 90. Thanks!!!!

20180206_163217.jpg

Last edited:
the only thing you can try is go to the next threaded fitting
and try backing it out there or you could try easy out
but you still need to get to the nex threaded fitting

Back