Pilot light won't stay on

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstiles46

Reaction score
Hey folks, wondering if you can help troubleshoot my problem. I have a Whirlpool water heater with a Honeywell gas control valve. I can get the pilot to light, but it doesn't matter how long I hold in the button, the status light on the gas valve never starts blinking. And as soon as a take my finger off the button, the pilot goes out. I've held the button in with the pilot on anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, and the light never starts blinking.

51uES7KUOPL._SY355_.jpg

So is my issue a defective gas valve? Or is the issue with the thermopile? I hate to go replacing parts without knowing the exact source of the problem because they are expensive.

Thanks!

You need a volt meter that can read millivolts. With pilot flame on check voltage on pilot generator wires. If you read about 350 or higher the valve is bad, less than 350 the pilot generator/thermopile is bad.

Check the high limit. Not sure about your model, but some units have a resettable high limit.
The red/white wires from control valve, one of them may go to a small thing-a-ma-gig on the burner cover. then from there into the burner. It has a small button on it. push it. if it clicks , means it opened.

These units don't use thermocouples

Check the high limit. Not sure about your model, but some units have a resettable high limit.
The red/white wires from control valve, one of them may go to a small thing-a-ma-gig on the burner cover. then from there into the burner. It has a small button on it. push it. if it clicks , means it opened.

These units don't use thermocouples

I forgot about that safety, it's a flame roll out safety switch. Call a plumber if that's tripped.

How old is your water heater? If it is less than 6 years call whirlpool and their tec dept will help you. They will send what part you need. If its more than 6 years you can still call them but you will have to pay for the parts.

Back