PEX in-floor radiant heat repair

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_eee

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here. I'm a general contractor working in the San Francisco Bay Area and from time to time have a plumbing question that I don't know the answer to or can't contact my regular plumber for info.

Right now, I have a question about PEX repair, but first the back story.

We were just finishing up a large job which I was the carpentry subcontractor on. One of my carpenters drove a screw in to the floor to attach a cabinet and hit a PEX pipe for the recently installed radiant heating system. Working with PEX radiant was new to me, but when we started the job the plumber (not my plumber but the sub for the GC who was acting as prime contractor) said that if we hit something, it's not a deal and is easily repairable. After we did, he raised the alarm that we may need to tear up the entire run so as not to have a repair. After some research, I called BS and reminded him what he'd said earlier. Long story short, it took him close 8 hours at $150 over 3 trips (drain system, repair, fill and test system), a special ordered part (a coupling, which I thought a responsible plumber would have on hand), and I got a bill for $1869.

I'm looking for some input to tell me this seems reasonable or not. I haven't been thrilled with the professionalism, ethics or reliability of this company in the past so maybe I'm pre-judging, but it doesn't seem right. He didn't seem too experienced with PEX and I don't think I should be paying for his unpreparedness.

Thanks much

Last edited:
Something don't add up. 8hrs@ $150 =$1200 Labor charge --Part cost $669 ????. I would not want a repair in my new under concrete radiant heat loop if I were the owner. Maybe the plumber was covering his own a$$ and ran a new complete loop to back up his warranty.

Unfortunately.....these things happen.

In miles and miles of infloor I know I've had my hands on, I've had to put two couplings in from other trades hitting my pipe.

It's been about 5 years since the first one that's in a monster of a house that has about 3800 feet of pipe on one floor. All 6" centres.

I used the Wirsbo "Q&E" coupling and expansion rings. All plastic, no metals. Working top notch to this day, as we still service that boiler. Maybe $5 in material and at most 2 hours labor.

I can't speak for your plumber, but I'd like to see what he used.

UPDATE:

Thanks for the replies. He definitely did not install a new line. This kind of thing has to be doable because things do happen. The repair worked fine.

Hers what the bill actually says:

-Disconnected 2 zone valves from manifold: drained zones, made materials list to complete repair
Plumbing service: 2 hrs:$304

-Made repairs to damages in floor PEX tubing: disconnected/cut connectors from manifold installer hose bib on supply and rerun line; put zone return on 60 psi test
Materials: $56
Plumbing service: 4 hrs $608
Plumbing helper: 3.25 hrs $325

-reconnected supply and returns: bleed air from system; tested okay
Materials: $6
Plumbing service: 3.75 hrs $570

What I question is that it should take 3 trips, that it should take as long as stated, and the need for a helper. For background, during the installation the job was constantly and severely under-manned as they put guys on other jobs when they said they would be on this one and the general up reliability of labor presence. I didn't get the feeling that they were experience with this type of work.

Any more input or reaction is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back