Pex freezing potential.. I screwed up.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZipLipZ

Reaction score
So I finished my basement earlier in the summer. Did all the work myself.. plumbed using PEX. I live in SLC Utah, so we get cold winters. We usually stay around or just above freezing during the day in Jan and Feb and get to 15-25f at night.

Anyway, In my infinite wisdom I ran my hot and cold for the shower across the fresh air vent for the furnace room. The fresh air vent uses the entire width of the ceiling joists in the basement. So I have roughly 16 inches of pex pipe exposed to what will be the crisp cold air of the winter. ( I foamed both sides of the pex where it enters and exits the vent.)

The vent runs from the outside of the house to the furnace room.. a distance of about 10 feet. The PEX pipe is probably 5-6ft into the house.. but still crossing the fresh air vent.

Does anyone have any advice on freezing potential for this? I'm worried I'm going to have pipes bursting on me. I'm thinking I may have to cap this vent off, insulate etc and run a new vent from the garage to the furnace room so that it still has combustible air in there.

Thoughts? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Post a photo of piping and vent

If pipes freeze pex can expand 1-1/2 times its actual diameter and shrink back after thaw

I've heard this too, but have seen pex split that didn't grow much. It must depend on the brand.

So for now I ended up putting a valve in the utility room to turn off the water to the bathroom, after draining it of course... still not sure on the long term solution. At least the freezing / bursting danger has been mitigated for now.

Latest posts

Back