Pex and Engineered Joists

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philwgreen

Reaction score
Getting ready to run my supply lines on a new addition. I'm using the Uponor pex and fittings and I had a question about running them in the joist bay.

I've attached a picture below showing roughly where one of the runs will go. I'm branching off my 3/4" main supply for hot and cold...I have one bathroom on a second floor and a utility sink in the first floor garage. A typical run will have the 1/2" line run parallel to the joist for about 5' from the far wall to where it's teed from the 3/4" line.

My first thought was it would be easier to run my 1/2" lines down the middle of the joist bay - to get me in the right spot for the lav - but I don't know how to support the line in the middle of the joist bay. If I run the 1/2" along the joist itself how would I insulate the line when it's up against the joist? Also, with these being engineered i joists - I'm not sure how to properly fasten the PEX to the joist. I can't seem to find any info on the manufacture's website.

Or am I missing something obvious and is there an easier way to run that line? Just curious how everyone else handles running lines parallel to engineered joists.

joist_bay.jpg

Back