Other options for attaching pedestal sink to floor?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandywjo

Reaction score
I am aware it calls for lag bolts to attach the pedestal sink leg to the floor, but I was wondering if there were any acceptable alternatives. I have read some plumbers never bolt them to the floor, they rather put a dab of caulk adhesive at the base and also where the sink meets the pedestal leg. They say if the leg needs to be removed to do any plumbing work, they simply cut the seal in the caulked spots and slide it right out.
I am asking this because I have no idea what is underneath the laminate wood floor we have. I have no idea where joists are and do not want to drill holes in the floor unless I know bolts will be able to go through and connect with something substantial enough to hold it still.
I do want my sink to be completely secure, I am just afraid of how long it might take a plumber to not only have to reinforce the wall where it will need to screw into, (which will be done) but then have to mess around with possibly having to reinforce the floor as well from underneath?
Of course, I trust my plumber, I would simply just like a few more opinions so I know options that exist before he arrives.
So if there are any options you have used with success, that created a solid install, but also allowed for access to plumbing in a reasonable time please let me know.
And if you do suggest the caulk in a couple spots, can you let me know what kind you would use, and that I would still be able to cut through easily with a utility knife to release it?
I do appreciate your time, thank you!

Back