Opinions on tile-in sinks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
What are your guys opinions on tile-in sinks. I personally like the look with the clean lines but if you ever need to pull it you have to tear out part or all of your counter top to do so. Soon I will be putting new counter tops in my kitchen and baths and will probably not go with tile-in.

The grout between the tile is porous and no longer considered to be the way to finish a kitchen counter top.
Natural stone is popular but it to can be porous. you can stain it if you leave something oily on it for awhile. You can't set a faucet using plumbers putty on a granite top. The oil will leech out and discolor the top around the faucet.
There is a composite of resin and natural stone that is popular.
The biggest problem I see is the sinks are installed under the new top and once in cannot easily be replaced.
I'm more practical and prefer the drop in self rimming Cast Iron sinks.

I have heard of drop-in and undermount sinks, but not tile-in type. Are you sure you saw a tile-in sink? As far as Plumbers putty, my can says not to use on marble surfaces, due to oil leaching, but nothing about Granite.

I have heard of drop-in and undermount sinks, but not tile-in type. Are you sure you saw a tile-in sink? As far as Plumbers putty, my can says not to use on marble surfaces, due to oil leaching, but nothing about Granite.

A tile in is similar to an undermount but it mounts under the tile on top of the float.

When you put in a tile counter top you have about 1.25" of float/ Dry pack mortar.

More proof that you learn something new every day. Thanks Chris.

I was thinking about it last night and I think that it is an undermount sink you would use in this application but just installed differently. I used to be a tile guy and have installed over a hundred of them that way. We would put down 3/4" AC plywood then roofing paper and wire mesh, then we would mix up sand and cement really dry to make a dry pack mortar and once we screeded it off we would set that sink in the hole while it was still moist. that way you can tile over that small lip and it gives a real nice look but if you ever need to pull the sink you have to pull some tiles as well.

True tile-in sinks seem to have lost popularity in recent years. A true tile-in does not sit under tile but is designed with square corners and a flat edge that allows one to butt tile against the sink and grout as if the sink were another tile. A year or so ago Blanco introduced stainless sinks with what they call a "micro-edge". This is designed to sit flush in a Corian or stone top.

True tile-in sinks seem to have lost popularity in recent years. A true tile-in does not sit under tile but is designed with square corners and a flat edge that allows one to butt tile against the sink and grout as if the sink were another tile. A year or so ago Blanco introduced stainless sinks with what they call a "micro-edge". This is designed to sit flush in a Corian or stone top.

I remember those but I don't think I ever installed one. Nobody liked them which would explain why they are not used much anymore. People always go for looks not function. I wonder if I could get a black tile to sink like you talk about?

Back