Open Gulley in Basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmavroudis

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question if anybody is please able to help

The rainwater gutters and drainpipes at the front of my home lead directly down into an open gulley at the front of my property at the basement level. The area with the open gulley used to open-air until it was covered over years ago and now the gulley sits at the front of my interior basement.

As a result of the gulley now being inside my home the condensation has caused the front wooden windows on the ground floor to literally rot so I now want to fix this so that the area around the gulley remains dry and the area free from condensation or rising damp.

I recently had a plumber fix up the pipe and gulley so at least the water doesn't splash everywhere. In now looks something like this (note this is a photo I found on the net http://www.diynot.com/diy/media/untitled.37954/full)

I am still concerned that condensation can rise upwards out of the gulley so is there anything I can do to seal this up to be airtight. My plumber said it isnt ideal to cement it in case it blocks and I need to get at the drain.

Note that we are unable to divert the pipe outside.

Any ideas will be really appreciated

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks. Sure here it is, are there not any potential issues with the pipes blocking if we connect it directly as per your illustration?

IMG-20151214-WA0000.jpg

Back