Old house.. ejector pit/septic tank issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August24

Reaction score
Hey guys.. looking for some insight on how to move forward with an issue I have.. I live in a house that was built in 1964.. i am planning to replace the existing septic tank and put in a new field.. the existing tank is original and doesn’t really have a field.. it just has a tile that ties into the farmers field tile behind my house.. my issue is my ejector pit in my basement also acts as a sump pump for foundation ground water.. if that makes sense.. so all my ground water is being pumped into my tank and then out into the field tile.. while that isn’t a great thing for the old system.. it definitely won’t work for my new field..

So I was just planning on digging a new sump pump pit and tying into the tile around the foundation and pumping it out into the yard.. but after talking to a family member of mine he said that with the house being that old they might not have put any tile around the foundation and that there is just a hole at the bottom of the pit that the ground water seeps into and the existing ejector pit just pumps it out.. my question is how do I stop the ground water from coming into my existing pit? Do I just need to have a new ejector pit installed into the existing hole? Sorry for the long winded question/explanation.. any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Back