Odd plumbing in off grade house

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subitodan

Reaction score
Hey folks thanks in advance for your help

Maybe some of you old hands will recognize this as some old school jerry-rigging and can tell me why.... Or it's just wrong, hah.

So we just bought and auction house, did some light remodel and moving in. My current plan is to just get the current plumbing working and over the year design and install a better system. For example I currently have the water heater router outside in an enclosure (florida) and plan on moving it inside or tankless.

I am sort of novice about plumbing as far as perfect and right goes but I can usually do basic repairs, valve changes, etc.

Anywho we have a back apartment and when I started working on it the hot valve spun freely. So for about 70 degrees water would turn on and for the other 30 it would be off. Cold worked normally (two separate valves). I thought it was an odd way to live but I replaced the valves made sure they were tight and now they work fine, cool.

When I got into the house the main bathroom the hot water valve does the same thing! Spins freely. Not only that but the cold water doesn't work at all! And when I look under it looks like the old pb and pipe was cut down and left in place and the PVC that was run only brings hot water, no T coupling or any evidence that there was any cold water to that tub at all!

Is this one valve spinning some thing that folks used to do?

In other news in the second in-house bathroom the tub is watered correctly but the sink only has hot water.

Was this just some severe corner cutting? It's a little too old to have been done out of spite or sabotage in foreclosure.

My current plan is to replace the pb from the cold end of the tub, it's a regular faucet screw on like a Delta and t off the cold water line that runs right there underneath.

Wow did anyone understand any of that?
Are talking abut a 2 handle tub/shower valve.
PB = polybutylene ?

If so I would say they cut corners and ran hot water only and just turned down heat on water heater.
as far as the valve spinning, how about a picture of it.

Back