No water from two free-standing outdoor faucets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz78

Reaction score
Hi Experts,

I have two free-standing outdoor faucets that have never produced any water since I moved in two years ago. One is a yard hydrant located ~80 ft. from the nearest working faucet (attached to the house). The other is a dual-output screw-top faucet ~12 ft. from the same working faucet.

Unfortunately, I don't have any history on these faucets, so I'm not sure where to begin. I'm hoping for some troubleshooting tips to help me narrow down the problem. If I can figure out what needs to be done, short of digging up the pipes, I'll consider that a win. :)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Mr. Frodo.

I can't imagine these two faucets were put in place with unfinished plumbing, so there must be a valve I don't know about somewhere. ...or the faucets themselves are broken. Is there an easy way to determine that?

If they are galvanized pipe The might have been abandoned or just scaled up beyond usability.

Dig a trench and install a new line( initially hard but easier to use later)
or buy a long hose. (initially easier but harder to drag around and put away )

Thanks Mr. Frodo.

I can't imagine these two faucets were put in place with unfinished plumbing, so there must be a valve I don't know about somewhere. ...or the faucets themselves are broken. Is there an easy way to determine that?

i have no idea what you have,

dig down, find the pipe. see which way its pointed

post pictures

Good deal. I will invest in a metal detector and figure out where the pipes lead to. Hopefully I'll find a shut-off valve in the process. We're selling the house in about a year, so it's not worth doing any major work to fix it.

The more I think about it, the more likely it seems that there IS a valve somewhere that was turned off at some point to protect the pipes over the winter. Question: what happens to the water residing in the pipes when such a valve gets turned off? Does it drain somehow or is there something that needs to be done to flush the excess water?

Back