No-caulk shower drain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IChome

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if this is a caulk-free drain? I removed what was there because it was moldy, wondering if I need to re-seal/caulk it. Thanks!image.jpg

So, I assume you just want to caulk the area where the drain cover meets the opening? If so, carefully clean away the rim and use a color matched caulking, very thin bead, let it dry overnight, then snap back in the drain cover.

So, I assume you just want to caulk the area where the drain cover meets the opening? If so, carefully clean away the rim and use a color matched caulking, very thin bead, let it dry overnight, then snap back in the drain cover.

Thanks. Do I need to caulk it at all? If I do then yes I would want to minimize it - where the drain cover meets the opening it its necessary.

It looks like the old caulking is pretty much toast. Whether water can penetrate the side, it is hard to tell until you remove the old stuff. I consider this routine maintenance.

No caulk on the strainer. Like Havasu said if your removing the whole assembly then put putty or caulk on the flange that seals against the shower floor. The strainer is there just to cover the hole and not a water seal

No caulk on the strainer. Like Havasu said if your removing the whole assembly then put putty or caulk on the flange that seals against the shower floor. The strainer is there just to cover the hole and not a water seal

Thanks all. I only removed the strainer, didn’t touch the rest of it. So I don’t need to put plumbers putty between the strainer and the rest of the assembly?

No. Just clean up and apply a thin bead of color matched caulking. Allow to dry before snapping cover back on.

I hope I'm not wrong, but I think the OP was more concerned with aesthetics more than anything.

Back