Newbie question (shiny film on standing water in drain field)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedamitchell

Reaction score
This is about a shiny film on the Stebbing water in our drain field…

We’ve been getting hammered by storms out here in California. We live on the Central Coast, and moved into a new place in December 2022. The sellers fixed the septic tank, which needed a new baffle wall.

With the rains the drain field has this one spot that gets really waterlogged, taking a long time to drain off. I got worried about oversaturation. So I dug some 2-3 inch deep trenches, well away from the location of the trenches, to drain off the water from the rain field. I also put in a temporary wattle because the runoff was crossing the trenches too, which I worried would get waterlogged.

While these two things worked (trenches and a temporary waddle) to drain and divert excess water, I’m worried because a shiny film has developed over parts of the field where there’s standing water, especially in the location of the trenches. When I stir the film, it breaks up, which is consistent with iron eating bacteria (and not petroleum.)

Anyone have another idea what this film on the water might be, or what is causing it?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back