New vanity; P-trap issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2018

Reaction score
Got a new vanity, all was going well; had even measured out the shelf that sits above the lower draw. Was off by about 1/4" to 1/2" - I really don't have the tools to re-do the exit pipe so I lifted the existing exit pipe and I did test out the P-trap fit - and it "sits" on the lower shelf, it's a tight fit and very secured, without having to cut the cabinet or re-setting the entire exit pipe.

Should I have any concerns for down the line with this installation?

My thanks for any insight.

("old lady" DIY - :D )

It is not proper to have a P-trap that can’t be serviced by taking apart. On the other hand if and when it needs to be snaked a plumber would likely Cut and reshape everything anyway just to get a snake at the tee in the wall.

This did load - sideways. But you can see the P-trap sits on the shelf. I can manage to unscrew the locking ring and shift the pipe around to remove, it is tight, but my question - will it do for now? Thoughts?

20180129_120814.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all - you were great support. I did experiment with dismantling for service and also checked for leaks, all seems workable. I was just worried that there was no clearance underneath, since all the P-traps I've ever seen always had clearance underneath.

Another options is to use a different style p-trap. We have used 1000's of these for tract homes for over 25 years.

You may be able to save some room using this style also. It uses a glue on male adapter and slip connections. I would use the 1-1/2" size.

Abs_ptrap.jpg

Latest posts

Back