New Moen valve problems - multiple cartridges not working

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismrhume

Reaction score
I recently installed a Moen posi-temp valve (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081W6QHFD/) for a shower (shower only, no tub) renovation.

I have tried 4 different cartridges and they all don't work properly.
First one - had terrible pressure and temperature didn't change
Second one - same thing
Third one (off brand moen cartridge) - the temperature changed but the pressure would only be hard for about 10 seconds when turned all the way to hot.
Fourth one - better pressure, but not full pressure, and the temperature only gets to warm and then I can't turn it back to cold. It stays same temperture no matter how I turn it.

Without the cartridge, I tested the hot and cold water lines and both pour out of the opening. The pressure and temperature in the rest of the house faucets and upstairs shower works as it should.

I'm starting to wonder if I need a different shower valve.

FYI. The shower previously had a valve that I pulled the handle out to turn on.

Any suggestions would be amazing.

Post some pics of the plumbing. And maybe one of how you were installing the cartridges.

Any scratches inside the valve body you can see?

And when you say the temp doesn't change, is it cold? Luke warm? Was it the same with all of them, or did that change with the cartridge?

Recently on a forum post somebody had a major issue with a new valve install Same Moen posi temp that you have.
turned out to be a defective casting and he did not flow check the system before tiling the entire thing in. Contact Moen.

Cartridges were pretty similar. Start out cold then get warm and stay luke warm. Couldn't turn to super hot or cold.

Will give them another call. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back