new hot water heater vs. old hot water heater / hot water longevity ??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco

Reaction score
our old hot water heater, a 50 gallon unit installed in 2000, died recently, as it split its side seam from excessive internal rust & corrosion (luckily, it only seeped water into pan when I found the problem, it did not split open and dump entire contents onto our first floor) ....I replaced (myself) the old unit with a brand new Rheem 50 gallon unit, but we now have a major problem: the hot water runs out very fast ...?? all our water for entire house will be gone after 1 regular length shower ....?? ....and with our old unit, we could not only take a shower, a long one, and do dishes or wash clothes on hot, but we could take 2 showers and the hot water would not run out .....??? .....again: they are both 50 gallon units ....can someone please tell me what is going on ?? ..I have experimented with various degree settings on the upper & lower thermostats on the new unit, from factory setting of 125 to 135 to 145 to 155 (max) and although the delivery of hot water is fast & constant, it runs out fully unbelievably fast ....?? ....here are photos of both the new unit the the one I removed ...THANK YOU for the assist
https://flic.kr/s/aHskqNHSK2

Last edited:
Something is not right. Did you by chance turn the W/H on before filling with water? I'd be taking a closer look at your elements to see if one of them is fried or not working.

thanks for the replies ....I did not turn on the unit before I filled it, it was filled to capacity then I powered it up ....there are 3 lights on the unit, 1 for power, 1 for top element and 1 for bottom element, and the element lights do light and go off in sequence as they should, with both element lights off when tank is fully heated ....can you guys please tell me how I would check the elements for one of them potentially being fried or not working please ??.....step by step if you can ....also, the unit "is" under warranty, so should I contact Rheem to do or send somebody to do the element checking ?? or do it myself ....I am thinking I will void the warranty if I begin checking things or troubleshooting the unit on my own ....thanks for the help & advice .....

upper thermostat bad (on brand new unit ...ugh !!??) ...just did the troubleshooting with Rheem tech on phone ...they are mailing part & sending repairman to swap it out, fully covered by warrenty ....thanks for the help guys:)

Back