Neighbor drilled into my septic tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paguy727

Reaction score
I own a half a duplex and owner next door drilled a 4 inch hole in the septic tank near the end on the side. Put a 4 inch pvc pipe into it silicone around pipe and this is now where all his sewage and waster water goes into. No baffle no nothing. I have been searching the net for codes on this and cant find any at all and i believe this damaged the tank. It is a plastic tank 750 gallon. I live in Pa and anyone point me in right direction or tell me if my tank is now done?

Not sure who regulates them in PA. Here it is the state Department of Environmental Quality, and the Local Health District. I’m guessing that PA has a DEQ, or state version of the EPA, which regulates them. Google, “Septic Tank Regulation Pennsylvania “, and see what you get.

Baffles are critical to the longevity of the drain field because the baffles keep the solids, which will block the drain field contained in the tank.

Why did your neighbor do this? Was his existing pipe crushed or clogged by roots?
Something doesn't sound right. No way a 750 gallon septic tank would work for a duplex. Would need at least 1200. Could this be a secondary settling tank past the main tank?
Does this tank have 2 chambers? Is the new pipe going into the first or second chamber?
If it is a 2 chamber tank and he put the new pipe into chamber 1 then it should work because there are still baffles on the outflow side to stop solids going into the drainfield.
Without a baffle on your neighbor's side, he is risking a backup on his side. That could be your problem if his side backs up and floods into your living space.

I think you should do more research and try to find a drawing of the septic system. If you can't find that, you can purchase a septic probe (metal spike with a handle) and start mapping out the system.
Once you know what all is there, you can make a risk assessment so you have something to work with if you decide to take legal action.

who owns the tank?????? if its only sized for your half.....there must be an inspector who over sees this......give him a call...then give the other person a chance to repair it.....
then if they don't have the right to tie in seek legal action

I do not know about your laws, you need to check with your local building department/ plumbing inspector
HERE, if the duplex is owned it has to have seperate utilities, and those utilities can not enter the duplex under/thru the other property.
in other words, if he owns his duplex, he can not use the same tank as you
if he is renting, then the same tank can be used. BUT it has to be sized to accept the waste from 2 homes
750 gallon is not big enough

Back