Need to replace soil stack - Is a pipe lining an option? (PIC)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildrage

Reaction score
I was told by a trusted plumber, who was referred to me by the last owner of the house, that the cast iron soil stack from my master bath needs replacement. He put me in contact with a contractor that is scheduled to rip out the wall next week.

My home has ornate chestnut coffering and plaster walls. The plumber is not sure, but the pipe could be going through irreplaceable chestnut coffering(between the 'star' and the line in the wall in the pic below).

My question, before they crack my wall open is, Is it possible to do a pipe lining on the soil stack? Can that stuff go through elbow, etc? Just want to make sure I'm making the right decision here.

stack.jpg

Thanks for your response, frodo.

Yea, the plumber is going to do his best. He has also fixed 2 other stacks in this house (according to previous owner). The house has 8 bathrooms. He's afraid that the obvious path of the pipe is straight through the wood, and the wood is actually enclosing the pipe. The contractor doubts it, but says we wont really know until we open the wall. He is coming on Monday to cut out piece 'A' from picture below. Leak is emanating from the area I have the arrow pointing to right under moulding; probably some sort of elbow, although I know the place where its coming out isn't necessarily where the leak is. That area isn't near any bathroom fixture, the closest one is above the star.

The contractor works on these old houses in the neighborhood, and can refab certain pieces if necessary. The area near the star was obviously patched at sometime, so maybe a similar repair was done in the past.

So you're saying, cutting out wall in 'A' is probably a good start? I did some research on pipe linings and it seems to be a fairly new, not totally proven technology that wasn't really meant for this application, and nobody does it in my area.

Plumber quoted me $1k to replace the soil stack, on top of whatever the contractor charges me for cutting up the plaster.

stack2.jpg

Last edited:
Back