Need to redo drain for disposal. Opinions needed.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulla

Reaction score
Hello:

My son just moved into a new house and has a botch-job of a disposal drain that we need to fix. See pics.

http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/jmulla54/embed/slideshow/Disposal Drain

The problem is that the drain line under the kitchen sink is 3-4" above the disposal outlet. We cannot open up the wall and tap into the drain pipe lower down because the drain runs horizontally (to the right of the sink) behind several cabinets until it joins with the vertical drain/vent stack. The stack is to the right because, as you can see, there is a large window behind the sink. I am 100% sure that there is nothing else draining into this drain from upstairs; there are no bathrooms etc. above the kitchen and the vent pipe goes straight up to a roof vent.

At the other end, the drain line eventually drops down into the basement ceiling and then runs back horizontally to the left and then vertically down where it connects into a drain in the basement floor.

Which of these options would work, meet code and be the easiest:

1) Run the disposal drain straight down through the base of the cabinet and put a p-trap in the basement under the sink cabinet. San tee from the p-trap to the HORIZONTAL section of the drain/vent pipe.

2) Run the disposal drain straight down through the base of the cabinet and in the basement as in #1, move it over about a foot to the left with 45's, then into a p-trap, and finally san tee it into the vertical drain/vent pipe.

3) Use s-trap (I know, I know) inside the cabinet and run it through base of cabinet and then san-tee into the horizontal drain/vent in the basement. Would the S-trap be OK given there is a clear vent less than 3' away (vertically) or would I need an AIV inside the cabinet?

Thanks for your constructive inputs!

2017-02-05 15.02.36a.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on where you live you can run it down into basement and cut in a new tee into the stack. Then add an aav up under sink.

Frodo:

I like, I like! And do you agree that I don't need an AAV under the sink because the drain I am tapping into continues up as a pure vent. As long as my p-trap is within distance from the drain. (I can get as close as I want, no problems there.)

If that works do it. I know my inspector would not allow the trap below like that. That's why different areas are different situations.

If that works do it. I know my inspector would not allow the trap below like that.

That's why different areas are different situations.

I am on an extreme learning curve so please bear with me... ;)

Maximum Distance

According to the International Residential Code, the maximum vertical distance between the sink drain and the entrance to the p-trap is 24 inches. However, the Universal Plumbing Code stipulates that the total developed length of all tailpieces, arms and fittings connecting the drain to the p-trap must be 24 inches or less.

ABOVE SOURCE- http://homeguides.sfgate.com/far-ptrap-below-sink-84460.html

What I am thinking is that the excess length of water fall may blow out the trap seal leading to possible sewer gas intrusion?

I am not arguing here frodo but simply trying to learn theory... :cool:

The below illustration is described incorrectly as to min/max length (should read MAX instead of MIN)?

Trap Seal _3 Tailpipe Drop Distance.jpg

Back